RAF Wroughton Hospital 1995.
RAF Wroughton was home to the RAF Princess Alexandra Hospital, providing full hospital services to the Armed forces personnel, their families and the local civilian population. The RAF General Hospital (as it was known) opened on 14 June 1941 under the command of Gp. Capt. E C Foreman, during the second world war, by October 1943 8 additional wards had been constructed. At the end of March 1944 the bed capacity was 1000. SECO hutting with inter-connecting corridors added a further 350 beds. Wroughton’s busiest period followed the allied landings in Normandy on D-Day. The first casualties arrived on 13 June 1944, landing at nearby RAF Lyneham. In the 6-months following D-Day 4,811 casualties passed through Wroughton.Read More