Cardington Airship Hangars,Bedford 2010.
The first of the two hangars (Shed 1) was built in 1915 by the Short Brothers. It was big enough to house aircraft large enough to compete with Zepplins. It was subsequently used to build two rigid airships (the R-31 and R-32) and it became the most important airship development site in Britain. By 1917, an estimated 800 people worked there. The airship site was nationalised in 1919 and became known as the Royal Airship Works. Shed 2 was 'moved' to the site from Norfolk in 1928 but, when the famous R101 airship crashed on it's way to India in 1930, the British airship industry collapsed and Cardington became a storage station.Read More